A birthday present to myself – a weekend in the Cape Cod.
After leaving the city of Boston in our hire car, my friend and I arrived at our lodgings for the weekend. Ocean Edge Resort in Brewster was the perfect “basecamp”. There is so much to do at Cape Cod and personally speaking one weekend is not enough – give yourself some time to enjoy the hidden gems.
Whether it is drinks at the Beach Bar at Ocean Edge Resort or riding the Provincetown dunes with Arts Dune Tours you won’t be disappointed. From Autumn Fall Colours to summer time at the beach, New England is one of my favourites areas in the USA.
Here are my top recommendations.
- Visit Cape Cod National Seashore. Miles of beautiful beaches where you can also watch seals playing around in the water. Watch where you dip your toes though as the sharks lurk around.
- Arts Dune Tours. A great way to explore the miles of dunes as you roll through the Peaked Hill Bars Historic District Sand Dunes, catching sight of Pilgrim Lake nestled among the dunes and the famed artists’ dune shacks.
- Visit one of the many lighthouses that line the coastline of Cape Cod. The Nauset Lighthouse is located in Eastham, a 15 meter tall tower that was a restored in 1923 from an 1877 cast iron plate. The Three Sisters are a series of 3 lighthouses, the original buildings fell into the sea at around 1890 but were later restored in 1911.
- Cycle down the bike trail. Cape Cod has miles of fabulous bike trails and lots of places to rent bikes.
- Visit the Chatham Fish Market. If you are lucky you might time it when the fishing boats come in and unload their haul. Although not for the faint hearted… lots of guts and fish heads. But you will get to see the seals waiting for the fishermen to drop a few fish!
- Nauset Beach – not to be confused with Nauset Light Beach on the National Seashore. Great ocean beach with low dunes and large waves for all those surfers out there.
- Whale watching – whilst I didn’t go whale watching on this trip (went on a boat out of Boston on a previous weekend) – always good to add to your list to watch the majestic creatures.
- Drive around and get lost down little lanes and see the beautiful, quintessential Cape Cod homes.
- Tuck into the famous Lobster Roll 🙂
Some great eats:
- Breakfast to go at Eat Cake 4 Breakfast.
- The Terrace at Ocean Edge Resort
- Grab the Fish & Chips from the Chatham Fish Market. Some of the best fish and chips I have had outside the UK!
- Lobster Pot, Provincetown
- Chatham Squire – a great spot to grab a drink and look at the interior. 🙂
- Grab an ice cream. There are so many great spots to get your yummy flavour